15 June 2012

Next Restaurant - Sicily



































(Top to bottom: welcome card, Bucatini con Bottarga, Pesce Spada con di Ceci, Cassata, assorted dolci)

I was a lucky guest for Next Retaurant's Sicily menu - I took no initiative to book a ticket, but my brother-in-law was unable to make it last minute so I enthusiastically enjoyed the meal on his behalf. Having been to Childhood twice, I was excited to taste the more serious side of Next. The vision was to create a meal inspired by the Sicilian comfort food; the food was brought out family-style and the main courses were paired with vegetable sides. The dishes were excellent, warming, and abundant. Among my favorites was the bucatini, where the taste of fish roe was strong but did not overpower the dish, which was finished in a butter sauce. The last main, a beast of a pork shoulder, was roasted with an all-day-cooked tomato sauce that was outstanding. My favorite may have been the signature, traditional marzipan-coated cake. Served with ricotta whipped cream, the cake was incredibly sweet and impeccably decorated and lived up to expectations following the pork shoulder and pasta dishes. An assorted plate of desserts wrapped up this Sicilian culinary experience and another extraordinary time at Next.


No comments:

Post a Comment