31 October 2013

Backpack: Volume and Organization


Preliminary sketches

For my backpack project, I have been thinking about two things: dynamic volume and interior organization.

Dynamic volume: By this, I mean that the overall size and shape of the bag can expand and compress as needed (and the interior volume will reflect these changes). Though I am obviously open to materials that will stretch and manipulate shape, I am first focusing on more traditional examples as inspiration. For example, paper grocery bags fold flat, and when the bottom is folded upward, it could provide symmetry to a top fold over closure (see very rough sketches above). I also think that, dependent on the right construction, the functionality of accordion folders could be interesting as well. There are also lots of collapsible bags currently in the market, but I’m less concerned about this capability, since my intention is to minimize everyday carry rather than to minimize size for other purposes (such as storage or travel) or to dramatically change the capabilities of the bag (e.g. Mission Workshop's detachable components).

Interior organization: Because I want my backpack to be as compact and efficient as possible, I need to be explicit about the items that will be carried and thus focus on the interior organization of my bag as well. The list contains: laptop, tablet, headphones, chargers (for phone and computer), pens and pencils, notepad and a book. Obviously, every object above does not need to have a specifically designated space. At this point, I intend to design sleeves for my laptop, tablet and notebook, to include pockets for headphones and small electronics and to build slots for writing utensils. The rest of my carried objects can be placed in whatever remaining space there is. A bonus item that has been a “wild card” throughout the process is a water bottle. It is something that I like to carry around but is difficult to incorporate into a design seamlessly, efficiently and beautifully. I will keep you posted on my thoughts but also welcome any suggestions.

Of course, I am not thinking of these two elements in isolation. Volume and interior organization inform each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment