09 September 2010

Pared-Down Design Becomes the Detail: Inspirations

In addition to exhibiting my personal creations, I wanted to use this blog to share some of the images, word or objects that inspire me.


Modernist summer house on Fishers Island, New York

"I like to pare down until it's almost nothing...I whittle away until it barely stands up. That's when I stop."
-Thomas Phifer, arhictect

Harborside house in Rockport, Maine

What strikes me about the architecture of Hugh Newell Jacobsen, a favorite architect of mine second only to Robert A.M. Stern, is his mastery of classical architecture abstracted into a modern form. The pared-down design creates simple forms and functional spaces. Jacobsen strives to respect both the design and the siting of his projects, explaining, "It is very important to me for a house to fit in and not shout at its neighbors".

No comments:

Post a Comment