20 September 2013

Pants: Inspirations



As I continue to iterate on functionality, fit and design, I want to share some items that are serving as inspiration and guidance. 

There are also some details that I alluded to last time that I hope to incorporate:
More than one zip pocket: For the times when I need both my iPhone and keys but don't want them together. It's not that other pants don't have multiple zip pockets but the placement and size of them deserve more consideration.

Elasticated cuffs: Lots of running / athletic pants have ankle zips which are great for ease of on / off but for me sacrifice fit and form. I prefer that my running pants not be too baggy and these cuffs would help the pants hold their shape during motion.

Waistband: An internal drawstring is probably best, which is nothing unconventional. That said, minimizing the aesthetic impact of the elastic waist will be a focus.

Piping: No contrast piping



Initial Inspirations

(Nike)
Athletic pants
Nike makes some great products, both from their headline brand and from their Sportswear division. Obviously traditional brands like Adidas, Arc'teryx, Brooks, CW-X and Pearl Izumi to name a few. Looking to these pants for construction, fit and material will be crucial as will be following Arc'teryx's running category mission: pieces that employ ultra light construction and minimalist design to work with the body in motion.
Cuffed trousers / sweats
I plan to look to trousers and sweats primarily for fit and aesthetic. To re-emphasize, I am hoping that my pants work not only for activity but also for more casual, everyday wear. Smart tailoring and subtle design details should help do the trick. Brands like Alexander Wang, James Perse, Isaora, Neil Barrett and Paul Smith serve as inspiration.

Brands to aspire to
Mission Workshop: From the cofounders of Chrome bags comes Mission Workshop, an urban backpack company focusing on higher-end products. Mission Workshop is committed to performance gear that has an aesthetic appropriate not only for cycling but also for the daily routine. (Mission Workshop)

Outlier: Launched with the intention to make a better pair of pants for bike commuting. Since 2008, Outlier continues to innovate and push out products with intense appreciation for purpose, design and durability. (Outlier)

I know this was a long post, but there were a lot of things to say. Up to this point is easy. Now comes the challenge of pushing forward with design and not to mention learning the whole pattern making and creating part too.


No comments:

Post a Comment