10 January 2014

Windows of New York: Inspirations





















Though I’m inspired by various things each day, I haven’t been motivated to tag an “Inspirations” post in a while. Begun almost a year ago, Windows of New York is a weekly illustration project by graphic designer Jose Guizar (you can see his other awesome work here: http://www.joseguizar.com/). I think it is a fun and thoughtful way not only to map a city’s landscape but also to catalog one’s personal journey through that city.

In Jose’s words:
“…this is a collection of windows that somehow have caught my restless eye out from the never-ending buzz of the city. This project is part an ode to architecture and part a self-challenge to never stop looking up.”

His obsession has certainly made me curious to visit some of these buildings, or in the case that I already know them, to look more closely next time. I’d also be excited to see his interpretation of something very different, such as Mies van der Rohe’s Seagram Building at night with its orange glow emitting from the rooms inside.

Separately, I’ve posted some new pics on Tumblr (here), featuring Google’s similar flat iconography along with industrial design by Thomas Eyck (a cup and saucer in soft pastels) and Plumen (the brand’s new 002 bulb that was launched on Kickstarter yesterday), art by Christopher Wool (one of the artist’s reductive but also generative gray paintings) and architecture by Mies (the aforementioned Seagram Building in New York).

No comments:

Post a Comment