09 December 2013

Backpack: Concept 1


As promised, I've posted a picture of the design I alluded to last week for my backpack project. It is essentially a messenger bag that is worn as a backpack. This idea is still in its early stages, but there are features that I think are promising as well as aspects that I am carefully considering.

I am interested in this design primarily because it forces the interior of the bag to be very efficient and structured in a similar manner to a briefcase. At the same time, the structured form of the overall bag allows it to be naturally carried as either a briefcase, messenger or backpack. While the sketch above shows double straps separately attached to the bag, I envision future iterations of this design to feature double straps that attach to a D ring. This would allow them to be detached and re-attached as a cross-shoulder strap.

That said, the rigid structure of the bag is also a concern. As previously discussed (Link), form is important to me, if not wholly from an aesthetic point of view in this case. This design is still very preliminary, and so I need to continue to think about the interior organization, especially considering that objects will be carried both "upright" and at a 90 degree angle (depending on how the bag is carried).

I have been sketching out a few other shapes and hope to share those in the coming weeks as I push each design further. I'd be be happy to hear any thoughts or feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment